Tuesday, July 29, 2008

As the summer knitting courses progress...



Every week, we start off with an inspiration board put together by Catherine. The boards show samples of a range of styles that the techniques can achieve, and lots of inspiring photos relating to the techniques.



The techniques are explained and shown in detail. After Catherine`s demonstration there is plenty of time to explore and develop knit designs that you want to create.



By the end of the week, the group have completed many samples and garment styled designs relating to the techniques shown that week. You also get the advantage of learning from each other`s work.

Here`s Meredith talking about her experience at knit-1:

I have really been enjoying the class and am learning so much every day. Catherine is such a great and patient teacher!! Aside from learning knitting in general, I think my favorite part of this course is the relevance it has to the industry as it is at the moment. I really enjoyed the presentation you did on Pitti Filati & the shopping in Italy. It is really important for me to feel like I know what is going on in knitwear and the fashion world, especially since I am not working at the moment, and I was worried about falling out of touch with the industry by taking 3 months off. If you two do any more traveling over the summer or go to other shows it would be great to hear more info about selling, stores etc as you did with Pitti. Also the trips to the Vintage stores, boutiques, and the Royal Pavilion have been really inspiring and a nice change of pace from straight knitting. I am looking forward to our trip to London next week as well. --Meredith




And here`s Julia talking about the course:

My major feedback is WOW! I have never realized that these courses could be so much fun. And it’s the well-thought out, and yet still entirely free sturcturethat makes this course so valuable for me. As you’ve mentioned during one of Friday reviews, we all come from different backgrounds, and your course takes that into consideration, and allows each one of us to follow what she’s inclined for using the basic technique.

Another part of the teaching, which I personally appreciate, is the way Catherine opens up my horizons with the way of actual garment design. This see-and-try freestyle approach is something I’ve never experienced before! The truth is, I’m a self-taught “designer”, it’s more of an accidentm really. Through Catherine’s coaching, I've tried things I’ve never tried myself. As I would not have realized the hidden potential of these techniques, motifs, stitches etc.

I absolutely loved the post-Pitti Filati session as it gave me an opportunity to hear the trend review by the industry professionals, which broadens my own perception.

Friday reviews are really important, as they give you a different perspective of what you’ve been exploring the whole week. It’s interesting to observe how all the students think and work differently, how one technique becomes 4 different styles. I can say that I've learned a lot just by observing what else could have been achieved with the same technique. --Julia


No comments: